London, 22 March 2023: BAFTA today announces the nominations for the 2023 BAFTA Television Awards with P&O Cruises and the BAFTA Television Craft Awards. The Awards are the biggest celebration of excellence across British and international television production and broadcasting.
A total of 128 programmes received nominations today from a record-breaking number of entries across Television and Craft. View the full list of nominations HERE.
- This is Going to Hurt and The Responder receive six nominations each
- Bad Sisters, The Crown, The English and Slow Horses receive five nominations each
- Am I Being Unreasonable?, Big Boys, Somewhere Boy and Top Boy receive four nominations each
- Comedians Rob Beckett and Romesh Ranganathan confirmed to host the BAFTA Television Awards with P&O Cruises on 14May on BBC One and iPlayer at 7pm
- P&O Cruises announced as new headline sponsor of BAFTA Television Awards
- Voting for the P&O Cruises Memorable Moment Award – the only award voted for by the British public – opens in April
- First-time BAFTA Television Awards nominees across the performance categories include – Adelayo Adedayo (Supporting Actress: The Responder), Chaske Spencer (Leading Actor: The English), Cillian Murphy (Leading Actor: Peaky Blinders), Daniel Radcliffe (Male Performance in a Comedy Programme: Weird: The Al Yankovic Story), Gary Oldman (Leading Actor: Slow Horses), Jack Lowden (Supporting Actor: Slow Horses), Jon Pointing (Male Performance in a Comedy Programme: Big Boys), Josh Finan (Supporting Actor: The Responder), Lenny Rush (Male Performance in a Comedy Programme: Am I Being Unreasonable?), Lucy Beaumont (Female Performance in a Comedy Programme: Meet The Richardsons), Rosie Jones (Entertainment Performance: Rosie Jones’ Trip Hazard), Saffron Hocking (Supporting Actress: Top Boy), Salim Daw (Supporting Actor: The Crown), Samuel Bottomley (Supporting Actor: Somewhere Boy), Siobhan McSweeney (Female Performance in a Comedy Programme: Derry Girls), Sue Perkins (Entertainment Performance: Sue Perkins: Perfectly Legal), Taj Atwal (Female Performance in a Comedy Programme: Hullraisers) and Taron Egerton (Leading Actor: Black Bird).
- Three nominees in the Emerging Talent: Fiction category are also individuals with the most named nominations each this year: Jack Rooke (Emerging Talent: Fiction, Writer: Comedy and Scripted Comedy: Big Boys), Nicôle Lecky (Emerging Talent: Fiction, Original Music: Fiction, Mini-series: MOOD and Pete Jackson (Emerging Talent: Fiction, Writer: Drama, Drama Series: Somewhere Boy).
- BBC leads with 81 nominations, followed by Channel 4 with 33, Netflix with 24, ITV with 19, Apply TV+ with 15, Sky with 14 and Disney+ with 8 nominations (Full table below).
Jane Millichip, CEO of BAFTA, said: “Huge congratulations to all our nominees. Today a record number of entries in Television and Craft resulted in 128 nominations, demonstrating fantastic strength and depth in programming and talent in 2022. We are really pleased to announce Romesh Ranganathan and Rob Beckett as hosts of the TV Awards. We are also delighted to launch a brilliant new TV Awards partnership with P&O Cruises, who will not only be our partners on this extraordinary celebration of creative excellence, they will also be providing valuable support for our remit as a leading arts charity.”
Sara Putt, Deputy Chair of BAFTA & Chair of BAFTA’s Television Committee, said: “Today, we celebrate our nominees and their achievements. Our Awards encourage the public to talk about great TV and the craft and creativity that goes into creating the most talked-about TV of 2022. Production companies gave us topical and authentic stories that resonated with British audiences, from hard hitting non-scripted programming to strong-female led narratives. I am delighted to see that the interventions we put in place to improve female representation in the director and entertainment performance categories have had positive results. These nominations reflect some of those changes we are seeing today, and will continue to see in the future. The BAFTA Elevate and BAFTA Breakthrough talent schemes have also supported a number of first-time nominees across categories – so if you haven’t seen some of these nominated programmes, do watch them.”
BAFTA also announces today that P&O Cruises is the new headline sponsor to the BAFTA Television Awards. As part of the multi-year partnership, P&O Cruises will launch a ‘P&O Cruises Memorable Moment Award’, which will be the only award to be voted for by members of the viewing public. The award will honour the impact of television in the UK and its power to entertain, inform and bring the nation together. Voting for the six nominees will open in April 2023. The nominations will be decided by an independent industry jury, overseen by BAFTA.
The BAFTA Television Craft Awards will take place on Sunday 23 April. The BAFTA Television Awards with P&O Cruises will be hosted by comedians Rob Beckett and Romesh Ranganathan and will be broadcast on BBC One and iPlayer on Sunday 14 May at 7pm.
How voting for the BAFTA Television Awards with P&O Cruises and the BAFTA Television Craft Awards works
Juries of industry professionals are responsible for deciding the majority of BAFTA TV and TV Craft category nominees and winners, with the remainder decided by Chapters – groups of BAFTA members organised by their respective craft. A guide to voting across the BAFTA Television and Television Craft Awards can be found here.
The BAFTA TV juries for 2023 were representative of BAFTA membership targets as a minimum; this includes gender parity and at least 20% ethnic diversity, as well as a range of diversity indicators including age and location, in addition to having the required professional expertise, as set out in our rulebook.
BAFTA is supported by official partners of the BAFTA Television Awards with P&O Cruises and BAFTA Television Craft Awards (Mad Dog 2020 Casting, 3 Mills Studios, Hotcam, Microsoft, Sara Putt Associates, ScreenSkills High-end Television Skills Fund and Spotlight).
BAFTA – the British Academy of Film and Television Arts – is a world-leading independent arts charity that brings the very best work in film, games and television to public attention and supports the growth of creative talent in the UK and internationally. Through its Awards ceremonies and year-round programme of learning events and initiatives – which includes workshops, masterclasses, scholarships, lectures and mentoring schemes in the UK, USA and Asia – BAFTA identifies and celebrates excellence, discovers, inspires and nurtures new talent, and enables learning and creative collaboration. For more, visit www.bafta.org. BAFTA is a registered charity (no. 216726).
About P&O Cruises
P&O Cruises is Britain’s favourite cruise line, welcoming guests to experience holidays with a blend of discovery, choice, relaxation and exceptional service catered towards British tastes. The fleet of seven ships each have their own appeal from family friendly or exclusively for adults.
With over 200 destinations worldwide, P&O Cruises Itineraries are carefully curated to inspire discovery, and are varied to suit newcomers and experienced guests alike. With a wide choice of holidays from two days to three months there is something for everyone.
Arvia joined the P&O Cruises fleet in December 2022 as its second LNG-powered, Excel-class ship offering a Caribbean maiden season of fly-cruise holidays from homeport Barbados.
Arvia, meaning “from the seashore,” is an innovative and future-focused ship and the latest evolution in the P&O Cruises experience, embodying the newest trends in travel, dining and entertainment to offer varied and contemporary holidays.
The ship boasts a unique SkyDome with a retractable glass roof and 16 guest decks, and will feature the first Altitude Skywalk high ropes experience, the tropical-themed Altitude Minigolf, the Altitude Splash Valley aquazone, an outdoor Sports Arena, swim-up bar and infinity pool. It will also offer guests several new dining options such as Green & Co feat. Mizuhana, Ocean Studios cinema, extensive shopping, and the Oasis Spa and Health Club.
British Travel Awards Winner 21/22 – Best Cruise Line for Family Holidays.
Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks Awards Winner 2022 – Best for Families.
The company is part of Carnival Corporation & PLC (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE:CUK).