Santa Clarita, Calif. - Beginning on May 14, 2017, the 2017 Amgen Tour of California,presented by AEG, brings the drama and excitement of professional cycling to California for the twelfth consecutive year. The Amgen Tour of California is regarded as the most internationally respected and esteemed stage race in the U.S. and one of the largest sporting events in the country. The 2017 race will mark the first year the men’s race has been elevated to UCI WorldTour status, making it the only stage race in North America to receive this prestigious classification. The seven-day men’s race will visit 12 host cities from Sacramento to Pasadena.
On Wednesday, May 17, 2017, the City of Santa Clarita will host the Stage 4 Finish for the 2017 Amgen Tour of California (Men’s Race). Stage 4 will begin in host city Santa Barbara and travel 100.3 miles to the finish in Santa Clarita. Santa Clarita is returning for the ninth year, bringing the total number of stages hosted in Santa Clarita to 13.
In addition to the men’s event, top professional female cyclists from around the world will converge in Northern California three days prior to compete in the Amgen Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM Women’s Race empowered with SRAM (May 11-14). Presented by Visit California, the route announcement includes a visual overview of the 2017 men’s and women’s courses at www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/stages.
With warm breezes coming off the beach across from the start line, it will be just as difficult to leave Santa Barbara as it was in 2015 when the riders took the same route into Santa Clarita. Winding through Montecito and Carpinteria, the riders will be getting their legs ready for two short but steep King of the Mountain (KOM) hill climbs as they approach Lake Casitas. A fast descent down Hwy 150 will take them alongside the lake and into Ojai. Following another KOM up Dennison Grade, the race will return to the picturesque town of Santa Paula, where the base of Balcom Canyon looms just a few miles away.
For many local riders, Balcom Canyon is just too steep and imposing a climb to even attempt. Walking up the top section is the only option for many. This is a unique climb where the riders can easily see the KOM from the start. A popular place to watch the race come by, slowly, crowd estimates have been as high as 5,000 fans in past editions.
Following a “white-knuckle” descent of Grimes Canyon, riders will head through the orange groves near the small town of Piru, and the race will begin its 13-mile eastward push on Hwy 126 toward Santa Clarita. A prevailing tailwind will help keep the race together, and the crowd waiting in Santa Clarita should see another massive field sprint. This stage comes in at more than 100 miles with two sprints, four KOMs and 7,700 feet of climbing.
Santa Clarita is home to some of the state’s most avid cycling communities. Race organizers are predicting an exciting group sprint finish, so residents are encouraged to attend and join in on the excitement.
If you are interested in learning more about the Amgen Tour of California in Santa Clarita, visit SantaClaritaTourOfCA.com. This website will be updated with information about volunteer opportunities, ancillary events surrounding the Amgen Tour of California in Santa Clarita, and community sponsorship opportunities. For more information about the Amgen Tour of California, including sponsorship and VIP experience opportunities, please visit amgentourofcalifornia.com.
About the Amgen Tour of California
The Amgen Tour of California is a Tour de France-style cycling road race created and presented by AEG that challenges the world’s top professional cycling teams to compete along a demanding course that traverses hundreds of miles of California’s iconic highways, byways and coastlines each spring. The teams chosen to participate have included Olympic medalists, Tour de France contenders and world champions. Amgen Tour of California is listed on the international professional cycling calendar (2 HC, meaning “beyond category”), awarding important, world-ranking points to the top finishers. More information is available at amgentourofcalifornia.com.
The first-ever U.S. UCI WorldTour course will cover more than 575 miles through 12 host cities May 14-20, including Sacramento, Modesto, San Jose, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, Santa Clarita, Ontario, Mt. Baldy, Big Bear Lake, Mountain High and Pasadena. The Amgen Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM Women’s Race empowered with SRAM May 11-14 will visit South Lake Tahoe and Elk Grove before concluding in Sacramento as the men’s race gets underway.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, California, AEG is the world’s leading sports venue and live entertainment company. With offices on five continents, AEG operates in the following business segments: AEG Facilities, which is affiliated with or owns, manages or consults with more than 120 preeminent arenas, stadiums, theaters, clubs and convention centers around the world including The O2 Arena, the Sprint Center and the Mercedes-Benz arenas; AEG Live, which is dedicated to all aspects of live contemporary music performances, including producing and promoting global and regional concert tours, music and special events and world-renowned festivals; AEG Real Estate, which develops world-class venues, as well as major sports and entertainment districts like STAPLES Center and L.A. LIVE; AEG Sports, which is the world’s largest operator of sports franchises and high-profile sporting events; and AEG Global Partnerships, which oversees worldwide sales and servicing of sponsorships including naming rights, premium seating and other strategic partnerships. Through its worldwide network of venues, portfolio of powerful sports and music brands and its integrated entertainment districts, AEG entertains more than 100 million guests annually. More information about AEG can be found at aegworldwide.com.
Hollywood, Calif -Producer Jeffrey Seller is thrilled to announce thattwo-time Tony Award® nominee JOSHUA HENRY, Broadway’s MICHAEL LUWYOYE andTony Award® Nominee RORY O’MALLEY will lead the National Tour of HAMILTON as Aaron Burr, Alexander Hamilton and King George III, respectively. Hamilton will open at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood on August 11 and run through December 30, 2017.
Mr. Henry, currently performing in the Chicago production, made his Broadway debut in In The Heights, received Tony Award ®nominations for his roles in Violet and The Scottsboro Boys and created the role of “Noble Sissle” in Shuffle Along. Mr. Luwoye made his Broadway debut in HAMILTON and was nominated for a 2016 Lucille Lortel Award for his work as Jacob in Invisible Thread (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Musical). And, Mr. O’Malley is currently playing King George III on Broadway and received a Tony Award® nomination for his role as Elder McKinley in The Book of Mormon.
Other principal roles in HAMILTON on tour will be played by RUBÉN J. CARBAJAL as John Laurens/Phillip Hamilton; JORDAN DONICA as Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson; AMBER IMAN as Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds; ISAIAH JOHNSON as George Washington; SOLEA PFEIFFER as Eliza Hamilton; EMMY RAVER-LAMPMAN as Angelica Schuyler and MATHENEE TRECO as Hercules Mulligan/James Madison.
The National Tour also include RYAN ALVARADO, RAYMOND BAYNARD, AMANDA BRAUN, DANIEL CHING, KARLI DINARDO, JEFFERY DUFFY, JENNIFER GELLER, JACOB GUZMAN, JULIA HARRIMAN, AFRA HINES, SABRINA IMAMURA, LAUREN KIAS, YVETTE LU, DESMOND NEWSON, DESMOND NUNN, JOSH ANDRÉS RIVERA, RAVEN THOMAS, RYAN VASQUEZ, KEENAN D. WASHINGTON and ANDREW WOJTAL.
Performances begin March 10, 2017 at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco. The National Tour of HAMILTON will play 21-weeks in San Francisco, followed by a 21-week engagement in Los Angeles.
JoshuaHenry’s Broadway credits include Shuffle Along, Violet (Tony nomination), The Scottsboro Boys (Tony nomination), The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess, American Idiot, Bring It On: The Musical, and In the Heights (Drama Desk Award – Outstanding Ensemble Performance). City Center Encores!: Cotton Club Parade and The Wiz. Film: The Lake (2017), Sex and the City and Winter’s Tale. Television: “Army Wives,” and “Kings.”
Michael Luwoye is currently the Alexander Hamilton alternate on Broadway. Off Broadway: Invisible Thread (Second Stage). Regional: Cardboard Piano (Actors Theatre of Louisville), Marley (Center Stage), Witness Uganda (A.R.T.), Tick, tick … BOOM! (American Theater Group), and The Three Musketeers and Once on This Island (Flat Rock Playhouse). He received B.A. from The University of Alabama c/o 2013.
Rory O’Malley was last seen on Broadway singing “Turn It Off” as Elder McKinley in The Book of Mormon (Tony and Drama Desk nominations) and in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Off-Broadway: Nobody Loves You (Drama Desk nomination) and Little Miss Sunshine. TV: “Partners” alongside Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence, “Nurse Jackie,” “The Good Wife,” “Law & Order: SVU” and “1600 Penn.” Film: Dreamgirls.
With book, music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda, direction by Thomas Kail, choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler and musical supervision and orchestrations by Alex Lacamoire, HAMILTON is based on Ron Chernow’s biography of Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. The musical won eleven 2016 Tony Awards ®including Best Musical, Score, Book of a Musical, Direction of a Musical, Choreography and Orchestrations. Mr. Miranda received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for HAMILTON.
HAMILTON is the story of America’s Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, an immigrant from the West Indies who became George Washington’s right-hand man during the Revolutionary War and was the new nation’s first Treasury Secretary. Featuring a score that blends hip-hop, jazz, blues, rap, R&B, and Broadway, HAMILTON is the story of America then, as told by America now.
HAMILTON’s creative team previously collaborated on the 2008 Tony Award ® Winning Best Musical IN THE HEIGHTS.
HAMILTON features scenic design by David Korins, costume design by Paul Tazewell, lighting design by Howell Binkley, sound design by Nevin Steinberg, hair and wig design by Charles G. LaPointe, and casting by Telsey + Company, Bethany Knox, CSA.
The musical is produced by Jeffrey Seller, Sander Jacobs, Jill Furman and The Public Theater.
The HAMILTON Original Broadway Cast Recording – recipient of the 2016 Grammy for Best Musical Theatre Album and a regular on numerous Billboard top 10 lists – is available everywhere nationwide.
HAMILTON: The Revolution, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter’s book about the making of the musical, is on sale and has been a selection on The New York Times Best Seller List.
The musical is currently playing in Chicago at The PrivateBank Theatre and on Broadway at the Richard Rodgers Theatre. A London production will also be mounted this year.
Santa Clarita, Calif. -The Wings for Life World Run has announced its return to the City of Santa Clarita for the fourth consecutive year, as participants everywhere unite to find a cure for spinal cord injury. Of 24 locations worldwide, Santa Clarita will be the only West Coast city in the United States to host the global race on Sunday, May 7, 2017. Santa Clarita joins Sunrise, Florida as the only two United States cities to host this event.
“This is such a fun and exciting event for our City to host year after year. It’s very surreal to be awake before the sun comes up and running on streets we normally drive on,” said Mayor Bob Kellar. “You don’t need to be an excellent runner to participate in this event, so I encourage all members of the community to take part and support this inspiring and unique experience in our hometown.”
Unlike traditional races, the Wings for Life World Run has no set distance or finish line. Instead, competitors will begin racing at Westfield Valencia Town Center simultaneously with participants around the world while trying to avoid being stopped by an advancing “Catcher Car.” The “Catcher Car” is an innovative moving finish line that takes off 30 minutes after the start at every race location and steadily increases its speed until it passes all of the participants.
Santa Clarita residents can receive the $30 registration by signing up before January 1, 2017 on WingsForLifeWorldRun.com. For more information about Santa Clarita’s involvement in the Wings for Life World Run, please contact Evan Thomason, Santa Clarita Economic Development Associate, at (661) 286-4167 or email@example.com.
Holidays at the Disneyland Resort Features ‘A Christmas Fantasy’ Parade, Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle, ‘it’s a small world’ Holiday, Nov. 10 through Jan. 8, 2017
ANAHEIM, Calif. –Every holiday season, the Disneyland Resort is a magical place to make memories with family and friends. This year, those memories will be brimming with Disney music and stories from the new holiday-themed “World of Color—Season of Light,” while the new “Festival of Holidays” will inspire guests to discover holiday celebrations from many cultures. With those additions, plus the debut of Princess Elena of Avalor, all is merry and bright for Holidays at the Disneyland Resort, Nov. 10, 2016-Jan. 8, 2017.
Along with what’s new, guests return year after year to experience beloved Holiday traditions, from snowfall on Main Street U.S.A., to glistening décor, Disney-themed treats and holiday entertainment. Guests will find Santa Claus in a fun, new location at Disney California Adventure Park this year and, at Disneyland Park, they will enjoy the one-of-a-kind transformations that create “it’s a small world” Holiday, Jingle Cruise and Haunted Mansion Holiday.
At Disney California Adventure Park
- The all-new nighttime spectacular, “World of Color – Season of Light” celebrates the warm and heartfelt spirit of the holidays, with powerful water fountains telling the story. “World of Color – Season of Light” will take guests through a sparkling winter fantasy, combining classic holiday songs with memorable moments from treasured Disney animated films to create an experience filled with magic.
- The new “Festival of Holidays” celebrates time-honored traditions and heartwarming experiences inspired by holiday festivals around the world. Guests at the “Festival of Holidays” will enjoy delicious internationally inspired food and beverages at 14 themed festival marketplaces, and participate in diverse cultural holiday celebrations, including the popular Disney ¡Viva Navidad! The global sounds of special guest musical groups will ring throughout the festival, and the young and young-at-heart will celebrate with some of their favorite Disney characters.
- Princess Elena, from the Disney Channel series “Elena of Avalor,” will make her Disneyland Resort debut as part of the “Festival of Holidays.” She is the first Disney Princess inspired by diverse Latin American cultures. After Holidays at the Disneyland Resort conclude Jan. 8, Princess Elena will remain at Disney California Adventure to continue visiting with guests.
- Three Kings Day (Dia de los Reyes) returns as the finale of “Disney ¡Viva Navidad!” in the “Festival of Holidays.” The special four-day celebration of Three Kings Day will run 5-8, 2016, in Paradise Garden. Treats for this holiday will include traditional Rosca de Reyes bread.
- Santa Claus, with a sleigh full of mischievous elves, appears at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, where guests of all ages will join the festive fun with a series of holiday-themed activities along the trail.
- The residents of Cars Land also decorate for the holidays, beginning with a whimsical “snowcar” that greets guests on the road to Radiator Springs. Each address along Route 66–Flo’s V-8 Café, Fillmore’s, Cozy Cone Motel, Luigi’s Casa della Tires and more–features holiday décor that reflects the personality of the “Cars” character who lives there.
- “a bug’s land” transforms for the holidays, too, as Flik and his bug friends deck their land with oversized lights and ornaments.
- A dazzling, 50-foot Christmas tree adorns Carthay Circle along Buena Vista Street. The tree and surrounding buildings, inspired by Los Angeles as it appeared when Walt Disney arrived in the 1920s, are decorated with vintage-style ornaments.
At Disneyland Park
- Sleeping Beauty’s Winter Castle returns for the first time since 2014, with magical nighttime snowfall moments that conclude with “Believe … in Holiday Magic” fireworks and its stirring snowfall finale.
- Guests will be enchanted by the soaring Christmas tree in Town Square, Main Street, U.S.A. It’s 60 feet tall and filled with nearly 1,800 ornaments. This festive backdrop is a popular location for holiday photos.
- Disney characters celebrate the season in “A Christmas Fantasy” parade, a daily procession with floats, music, marching “tin soldiers” and holiday cheer. Santa, who makes a jolly appearance in the parade, also will be found welcoming guests at his special location in Critter Country.
- Disneyland guests definitely will want to experience the popular seasonal transformations of these park attractions:
- “it’s a small world” becomes “it’s a small world” Holiday with children around the world enjoying the distinctive holiday traditions of their countries.
- Haunted Mansion becomes Haunted Mansion Holiday, with Jack Skellington and his friends from Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” causing a collision between Christmas and Halloween.
- Jungle Cruise is transformed into Jingle Cruise, as the jungle skippers gather jettisoned holiday gifts and decorations to brighten the rugged landscapes surrounding their riverboats.
The Downtown Disney shopping, dining and entertainment district and the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort join in the holiday festivities with twinkling lights and ornaments, holiday displays, special entertainment and holiday dining with themed menus.
The Twilight Zone® is a registered trademark of CBS, Inc. and is used with permission pursuant to a license from CBS, Inc.
Haunted Mansion Holiday inspired by “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.”
About the Disneyland Resort
The Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney California Adventure Park – plus three hotels and the Downtown Disney District, comprising unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s hotels are the luxurious, 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which also features 50 two-bedroom equivalent Disney Vacation Club units; the magical, 973-room Disneyland Hotel – both AAA Four Diamond properties – and the 481-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel with its “day-at-the-beach” theme. For information on attractions and vacations at the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com, call (866) 43-DISNEY or contact local travel agents. Located in Anaheim, Calif., the Disneyland Resort opened July 17, 1955. Open daily, year-round.
- See more at: http://disneylandnews.com/2016/09/13/new-merriment-coming-to-the-disneyland-resort-with-world-of-color-season-of-light-festival-of-holidays-and-the-debut-of-princess-elena-of-avalor/#sthash.tAUtNdBx.dpuf